The House

 

'The Parsonage’ - circa 1926

61 West Broadway was the Reverend Richard Webster residence, built in 1844. The house is a simple vernacular boxy form, carried over from the earlier Georgian and Federal eras of the 18th and early 19th centuries.  Ornament was restrained and usually limited to the front doorway and dormers.   'The Parsonage' is a classic example of a five-bay, three story home with a dormered gable.  This house is the oldest complete and unchanged home existing from the early history of Mauch Chunk, now Jim Thorpe.  

Small sweet gardens wrap the the front of the house with the near ancient Japanese Split Leaf Maple holding court.  An Amish built Gazebo overlooks all from the back yard, another perfect spot to just kick back and relax.

On the main floor of the house, you will find:

The Living Room

The Dining Room 

The Library


Here’s a bit of trivia on the Reverend Richard Webster:

Richard Webster was born in Albany, New York, on July 14, 1811, the youngest son of Charles R. and Cynthia (Steele) Webster.  He died at Mauch Chunk [now Jim Thorpe]. Pennsylvania. , on Thursday morning, June 19, 1856, just twenty five days short of his forty-fifth birthday.  A graduate of Union College (1829) and Princeton Theological Seminary (1834), he initially sought service as a missionary under the American Board of Commissioners for Foriegn Missions, but was providentially hindered.  Turning to other avenues, he was designated a home missionary by the Prebetery of Albany, and was soon engaged in ministering to those living around Easton along the Lehigh River, to the region of Mauch Chunk, where coal mining was recently underway.  By 1836, a church had been established there and he faithfully gave the rest of his life to his congregation and to the people of Mauch Chunk.

For more Historical bits on Mauch Chunk/Jim Thorpe click here.


The Parsonage B&B ~ 61 West Broadway ~ Jim Thorpe, PA  18229

e:mail us at: innkeeper@theparsonagebandb.com  call us at: 570-325-4462

© Jeffri Coleman 2015